Actors pass on roles all the time -- it's part of the movie business. Take Leonardo DiCaprio. His enormous box-office potential makes him one of the most sought-after actors in the world. As such, he's been offered the opportunity to play numerous big-time characters, a few of which he's had to turn down. (Not infamous FBI director J. Edgar Hoover in Clint Eastwood's 'J. Edgar,' which opened this week.) In honor of DiCaprio and his Hollywood brethren, let's take a look back at some of the biggest roles actors have ever turned down.
- Leonardo DiCaprio in 'Boogie Nights'
- Will Smith in 'The Matrix'
- John Travolta in 'Forrest Gump'
- Mel Gibson in 'Gladiator'
- Michelle Pfeiffer and Jodie Foster in 'Thelma & Louise'
- Tom Cruise in 'Footloose'
- Matt Damon in 'Avatar'
- Madonna in 'Casino'
- Freddie Prinze Jr. in 'Spider-Man'
- Jack Nicholson in 'The Godfather'
- Tom Selleck in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'
- Alec Baldwin in 'The Fugitive'
- Molly Ringwald in 'Pretty Woman'
- Steve McQueen in 'Dirty Harry'
- Leonardo DiCaprio in 'American Psycho'
[Photo: FilmMagic / Everett Collection]
Follow Moviefone on Twitter
Like Moviefone on Facebook