In 'The Help,' Southern society girl Hilly Holbrook (Bryce Dallas Howard) is as polished and polite as possible, but that pretty smile hides a mean, racist streak as wide as the Mississippi. It just proves, as Hamlet once said, "One may smile and smile and be a villain." Here's our collection of female characters who tried to put a pleasant face on evil as they schemed, bullied and even committed murder to get what they wanted.
- 15. Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen) in 'Singin in the Rain'
- 14. Kathryn Merteuil (Sarah Michelle Gellar) in 'Cruel Intentions'
- 13. Regina George (Rachel McAdams) in 'Mean Girls'
- 12. Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter) in 'All About Eve'
- 11. Miss Minchin (Eleanor Bron) in 'A Little Princess'
- 10. Joan Crawford (Faye Dunaway) in 'Mommie Dearest'
- 9. Hilly Holbrook (Bryce Dallas Howard) in 'The Help'
- 8. Chris Hargeson (Nancy Allen) in 'Carrie'
- 7. Suzanne Stone Maretto (Nicole Kidman) in 'To Die For' (1995)
- 6. Eleanor Shaw Iselin (Angela Lansbury) in 'The Manchurian Candidate'
- 5. Gogo Yubari (Chili Kuriyama) in 'Kill Bill: Vol. 1'
- 4. Peyton Flanders (Rebecca De Mornay) in 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle'
- 3. Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) in 'Misery'
- 2. Dolores Umbridge (Imelda Staunton) in 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'
- 1. Minnie Castavet (Ruth Gordon) in 'Rosemary's Baby'
Gallery photos 1-8, 10-15: Everett Collection; 9: Dreamworks.